The 2017 FCCF Paleo Challenge kicks off Sunday, January 8th!
Don’t miss this opportunity to win TWO MONTHS FREE MEMBERSHIP!
It’s that time of year again! The annual FCCF Paleo Challenge will begin this Sunday, January 8th, and will run through Saturday, February 4th.
For those of you who are new to our gym, or new to this challenge, we like to kick off each new year by bringing ourselves back toward a healthier lifestyle (as we all know it can get a bit out of hand during the holidays). It is great that you come into the gym and put yourself through challenging workouts, but now we take it a step further. The foundation for a healthy lifestyle is a healthy diet – as they say “abs are made in the kitchen”. This challenge is all about you, with the goal being to truly see and feel the effects of a clean diet in your daily life.
Participants will track their diet, total workouts and hours of sleep using the Paleo Tracker Spreadsheet. At the end of the four weeks, points will be counted, totals compared, and we will have one winner and one runner up! The winner of this challenge will receive TWO MONTHS FREE MEMBERSHIP, and the runner up will receive ONE MONTH FREE MEMBERSHIP. Additionally, we will hand out prizes for various achievements throughout the challenge. Your spreadsheet should be submitted to Coach Liane at the end of each week for scoring. We are working on the honor system. Cheaters are not welcome. Period. The spreadsheets have been emailed out, but if you did not receive one, please reach out to Coach Liane (email below).
Monday’s (1/9) programmed WOD will be used as a “Benchmark WOD” and repeated in the fourth week, as a measure of increased performance. Make sure you complete this workout before the end of the first week, and as close to Monday as possible for a more accurate measure of progress.
The 2nd attempt at the benchmark WOD will not be a programmed workout in the final week. You are welcome to come in during Open Gym or any regularly scheduled class time to complete the workout (please just be mindful of the class that is taking place). Please complete your 2nd attempt by Saturday (2/4).
Receive 6 daily points for eating strictly Paleo (details below), as well as daily bonus points for getting to the gym for a WOD and 8.5 hours or more of sleep. Also, each week you can receive up to 3 bonus points for Paleo recipe submissions (details below).
New this year, we are adding a WEEKLY BONUS WOD and MILES RUN! We will announce a surprise WOD at the beginning of each week, which you will have until the following Sunday to complete. Here’s how these will work:
Weekly Bonus WOD
This will be worth 3 bonus points, but must be completed on the same day as you complete a daily programmed WOD in the gym. Essentially, this will be a double-day. You are welcome to do both workouts back-to-back, or at separate times of the day. If you choose to do the Bonus WOD during Open Gym, you must complete one of the programmed workouts from that week (QuickFit included). Again, Bonus WODs have to be done as a double day with another WOD (not just in conjunction with extra rowing, running, foam rolling, etc.). Bonus WODs will be programmed into Wodify each week. To enter your score in Wodify, select ‘Add Performance’ under your name on the Coachboard. Next select ‘Metcon’, then ‘2017 Paleo Bonus WOD (Week X)’.
Each extra mile (in addition to anything programmed during a daily WOD) you run will be worth 1 bonus point (max 3 per week, 12 total). We have set a goal of 12 additional miles over the course of these four weeks, but don’t limit yourself! There will be prizes related to most extra miles run, or for those who hit all 12.
Sunday, January 8
Saturday, February 4 (2/5 = Superbowl Sunday)
Daily Point System
Begin each day with 6 points (see point system below) – eat real foods (meats, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruits, and oils) and keep all six points. However, each time you violate one of the six criteria listed below, you lose a point. Violate multiple criteria, lose multiple points. Real foods do not include protein shakes or pre/post-workout supplements. For the purposes of this challenge, honey is considered sugar. Please refrain (or lose a point).
1. Do not eat dairy: No milk, creamers, butter, cheese, yogurt etcâ€¦
2. Do not eat grains: No bread, rice, pasta, corn, oatmeal or any gluten-free pseudo-grains (like quinoa).
3. Do not eat legumes: No beans, lentils, and no peanuts/ peanut butter.
4. Do not eat sugars of any kind, real or artificial: No syrup, honey, agave, Splenda, Truvia, Stevia, etc..
5. Do not eat processed foods: No protein shakes, Zone or Balance bars or dairy-free creamers, etcâ€¦
6. Do not drink alcohol, in any form.
– (1 pt) Get 8.5+ Hours of Uninterrupted Sleep (limit 1 per day)
– (1 pt) Complete a WOD at FCCF (limit 1 per day)
– (1 pt) Paleo Recipe Post – earn 1 bonus point for posting a Paleo recipe photo to Facebook or Instagram (make sure to tag FCCF!) This should include the name of the dish, the recipe, and a short write-up about your thoughts and/or recommendations of the item (limit 3 per week). Additional points may be awarded for creativity! Recipe submissions should be done via Facebook or Instagram, by tagging FCCF (FB: Folsom City CrossFit / IG: @folsomcitycrossfit). The idea here is to share recipes with each other, as well as foster motivation. If you don’t have either of these platforms, send your recipes to Coach Liane and we will post on your behalf.
– (1 pt) Miles Run – earn 1 bonus point per extra mile (in addition to anything programmed during a daily WOD) you run. (limit 3 per week)
– (3 pts) Weekly Bonus WOD – must be completed on the same day as you complete a daily programmed WOD in the gym. (limit 1 per week)
Week 1 Bonus WOD
Week 2 Bonus WOD
7 Minutes of Burpees
Week 3 Bonus WOD
Week 4 Bonus WOD
3 mile run.
This run will count for both the Bonus WOD and your three weekly miles (from the gym, 3 miles is down to the track, 8 laps, and back to the gym).
The Paleo Tracker spreadsheet also has a place for notes. Please use this section. Again, the goal is to recognize how your diet affects how you feel (ie: sleep, performance, energy levels, mood, etc.) so make sure you are keeping track. Trackers need to be submitted to Liane (email below) by end-of-day each Sunday for the previous week.
If you have any questions, or would like to do the challenge but are unsure where to start, feel free to email Liane at email@example.com, or ask any coach in the gym. We’re here to help you become your fittest self!